Saturday, July 01, 2017

Wednesday 17-06-28 Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man


I am not a comic artist. Nor am I a comic illustrator, or a comic writer.  But nonetheless I have to say that this comic was completely pointless.

I didn't like the story, or the continued references to events that had already been described in other comics. As a #1, in my opinion the story should be able to stand alone.

I thought the artwork was too child-like, but that's probably personal preference - one of my favourite titles is Daredevil, which tends to be a bit darker in tone.

And I thought the plot twist at the end - that Peter Parker has a sister (spoiler alert!) - unnecessary. Marvel have been trying to diversify their titles for a number of years now and I think they've got it wrong several times, especially killing off or retiring well-established and well-loved characters. It'll probably turn out that she is Spider-Man sometimes.

In the editorial at the back they more or less admit this is a cash-in - "with a movie coming out next month and a new animated series later this year, we wanted to make sure fans had a super easy landing pad".

Anyway, the title was toot, and I've asked my local comic seller to take this title off my subscription list.

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment