Saturday, May 20, 2023

23-05-20 - Saturday I - Leith Ross @ Chalk, 18th April

Saw Leith Ross again last month. Really enjoyed it, as expected, but it was a weird experience. The last time I was at Chalk it was to see Dry Cleaning, and that was a sold out event. This was sold out as well, but it was a completely different demographic, due to the nature of the act. Leith Ross is a young Canadian singer / songwriter who is gay and prefers “they / their” pronouns. So understandably the audience was completely different to the crowd at Dry Cleaning. The main differences were that I could see the stage, since the rest of the audience were mostly young women under 30, and they were shorter than the crowd I am used to at a gig, and the toilets had been changed to non-gender specific. I felt weirdly  out of place, but not in a bad way, it was as if I had been transported into the future in some weird way. The crowd weren’t as reverential as they were at the Bess Atwell gig I went to, but it was really inclusive and everyone seemed to be really happy to be there; it felt like a celebration more than anything else, despite some really dark and honest songs from Leith. The one that got me last time I saw them was “Tommy”, which was nostalgic for a male grandparent; admittedly it was just after Dad had passed away but it really spoke to me and so I was happy to go again to see them perform with TMO. 
Leith Ross has a great voice and some really great songs, and they deserve some wider appreciation, I think. I don’t know if I’ll go and see them perform live again, but I’m certainly open to hearing their songs on the radio and Spotify and I would recommend searching them out and listening to a track or two to see what you think. 

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment