Sunday, October 28, 2018

18-10-28 Sunday - Our Girl @ The Haunt, Friday 18-10-26

Friday rolled around again, and before we knew it the weekend was upon us. This Friday had a different flavour though, as we had tickets to see Our Girl at The Haunt. “We” in this case was me and three friends of a similar age, all keen on live music. G and J had seen Our Girl before, I had listened to a couple of tracks on YouTube and was looking forward to seeing them live. G wanted to get there early to see the support band, Breathe Panel, as he was a fan of theirs as well, which was refreshing; sometimes people aren’t interested in the support, but I think it is all part of the night. The times I've had an absolutely clear view of the support and then been swamped by tall skinny indie kids five minutes before the main band take to the stage doesn’t bear thinking about. 

Breathe Panel had just started when we got there, and were your standard indie band – four lads, pretty proficient from the sound of it, and I’d be interested to hear their album. The second support act shambled on to the stage and honestly at first glance they didn’t look old enough to date my thirteen-year old daughter. On closer inspection they were probably in their late teens or early twenties, and all skinny rakes in jeans. They started playing and the lead singer was obviously channeling the spirit of the young Mick Jagger, all pouts and poses. But they played a pretty good brand of glam rock, and I for one enjoyed it. They managed to sound fresh and familiar at the same time, which is a good trick if you can pull it off. And their new single should hopefully find them a few new fans (me included!). 

Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard came and went, and then it was time for the main event – Our Girl. They formed in Brighton, being at Uni together, and it was the last night of their tour so it was a bit of a homecoming gig for them, I suppose. Anyway, they certainly impressed, knowing how to put a bit of space in their music. One of the stand-out tracks was, I think, called “Sub Rosa”, which was sublime, but they were all good. On one track I found myself thinking of Nirvana’s “Heart-shaped Box”, which I suppose is a good sign. I’d be happy to see them again, and I hope that they continue to make more music in a similar vein.  

On the way home we discussed the gig, of course, and also other recent and future gigs that were bubbling under. Miles Hunt is currently on his “Custodian” tour, and he is playing Brighton in a week or so – I might go to that. Obviously it won’t be a Wonder Stuff gig, but it might be enjoyable in a different way. And then there is a new band who are getting some attention, called TVAM – but they are playing the night before Courtney Barnett, and I'm not sure I can handle two late nights in a row. We’ll see though, it might be possible... 

TTFN. 

No comments:

Post a Comment