Saturday, October 20, 2018

18-10-20 Saturday - A Musical Week


Last week was a bit of a musical week, for a change. It started with a trip to see Eek-A-Mouse at the Concorde II in Brighton, which was a bit different for me. Eek-A-Mouse is a big reggae star, and I was introduced to his music a couple of years ago by a friend. I've got one of his albums, and when I saw that he was playing so close by, I thought I couldn’t miss the opportunity to see him. The gig, as it happened, was okay. Eek-A-Mouse came out on stage in full Arthurian chainmail, tabard and crown, and wore that outfit all night.  

Eek-A-Mouse, wearing a crown and a tabard. Standard Monday night.


I’ve never been to a reggae night before, and I quite enjoyed it. I have to say, the crowd were shorter than I'm used to at indie gigs; I don’t know why that would be, but I did notice that I had a better view of the stage than I'm normally used to. The sound was good, and the crowd were into it and enjoying it, but it all seemed to be a bit same-y, there wasn’t a sense of building towards a big finish. Maybe because I only had the one album, maybe because I didn’t really know his music, I wasn’t on tenterhooks. I left a few minutes early to make sure I caught one of the last trains home.  

The previous week I had finally decided to buy Shigeto’s album, “The New Monday”. It’s been out a while, but I had heard the first track, “Detroit Pt. 2”, and it had wormed its way into my brain with its stripped back beats. So that arrived, and on Tuesday evening, while TW and the girls were out at rugby, I got some time to listen to it at some volume, and enjoy it. I liked the whole album, it’s really nice, mellow, with some insistent beats and jazzy too.  

Saturday night bookended the week and brought another trip to Brighton, to see another band I’d not seen before – Halo Maud. I’d received a promo email from Melting Vinyl referring to her “fantastic sets at the Great Escape”, and as the tickets were only £8, I thought it might be worth a flutter. And an added plus would be not having to sit through Strictly and X Factor at home. As it was, they were fantastic. They reminded me a bit of Sheen, who I saw supporting Cud at The Garage a few years ago, and also Cocteau Twins, in a way. I certainly enjoyed their set, to the extent that I bought their album, “Je Suis un Ile”. Having listened to the tracks again at home, I think I made the right choice. They are an enjoyable collection of tracks, and I am sure I'll be listening to them frequently in the future. 

I also bought some tickets to see “Our Girl” next Friday, and I have a number of gigs coming up over the next couple of months – Courtney Barnett in Brighton, Cud in London and then, in December, PWEI in Wolverhampton. And I've just seen that Kristin Hersh is playing Worthing in March 2019, so next year is beginning to shape up nicely.  

TTFN. 

No comments:

Post a Comment