Monday, January 18, 2010

Another Test Series Ends (S.A. vs. ENG)

So, that was another nail-biting series. Drew 1-1 with South Africa, the test side ranked #2 in the world. It was a bit unconvincing - when South Africa won, they whupped our ass. When we won, it was by the skin of our teeth.
Still, we held our own - for the most part - and frustrated Graeme Smith and his cohorts. Not bad for a team ranked #5 and playing more games than anyone else. I'm not surprised Strauss is being rested for Bangladesh.
Still, Cook as captain? I'm not sure that's a good idea, but I don't know the guy. He strikes me as very young, but he's been V-C for a year, so must have the support of the team... Glad to see Carberry is getting a look-in. I hope he acquits himself well, I have high hopes.
I think we have all the elements we need for a world-class team, we just need the pieces to click into place. With Strauss, Colly and KP as batsmen, supported by Prior, Swann & Broad, we should be scoring 400+ in every innings. And with Jimmy, Swann and Broad in attack, we should be taking wickets much more cheaply than we are doing. I'm sure we'll have some good games during the summer, and I'm off for a rest until then (I wish)...

No comments:

Post a Comment