Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Seismic Surprises in Team Selection...

So, I advised TW this morning on the way to work, in tones of disbelief, that Ashton (England rugby coach) was in danger of being fired. In the same incredulous tones, I advised her that they were considering dropping Wilkinson. It seems that Wilko has now been dropped (in favour of Cipriani) - which I find amazing. How long now before Ashton goes? I can only hope he does not go - it is still possible for England to come a respectable 2nd in this Six Nations, after all. It is my opinion, limited and ill-informed though it might be, that the mercurial (in the literal sense) performance of the England rugby team is due to conflicts in the coachinmg team, and I think if these are resolved, the England rugby team could - and SHOULD - perform better on the field.
In my opinion (please note previous caveats above), England rugby does not have the leaders necessary to shape a cohesive side. I recall seeing a mini-rugby tournament, where a nine-year old, playing outside centre, screamed "where's my f***ing line?!?". I think there is not enough of this urgency and reminder of the basics in the international English rugby side.
I believe it will take some time to shape these leaders, or "generals", and as a result I think English rugby could be in for a deep and prolonged funk.

Compare and contrast with the English cricket side. The two 'senior' bowlers, Harmison & Hoggard, did not perform during the first test vs. New Zealand. Hoggard is worth another punt, in my opinion. However, as much respect as I have for Harmison's past achievements, I believe that he is rudderless and lacking direction at the moment. It's almost as though he's there to complete the numbers, but he has no self-belief. The interview he gave to Sky (Nasser Hussain?) was honest and truthful, but showed Harmison to be unaware of his priorities - one minute the most important thing in his life was cricket, & the next it was his family. The guy does not know where to concentrate his efforts. Mike Selvey in the Guardian today recommended ending his test career, as harsh as that sounds, and I agree that Broad should be lined up as his replacement.

If Wilko and Harmo are both retired this week, it will be the end of an era. Two men who have achieved more than was ever expected of them, both of whom have smashed previous impressive records. However, it could be that History is claiming two heroes in one week. I hope their replacements are up to the task.
TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment