Wednesday, August 14, 2024

24-08-14 - Wednesday I - Riots

I like to think I'm a regular guy, but I abhor the recent riots in the UK. There is just no need for them. Or, if there is a need for them (and I think there might be), the root cause or trigger for the riots is not the basis that the rioters or the "mainstream media" think it is. 

Let me explain. 

There are people who can't get council housing. There are people who don't get swift police response when shit happens. I think a lot of people have experienced delays at hospitals and A&E departments. 

These things are not related to the (relatively) small number of people arriving on our shores "irregularly" in small boats.  

The fact that there is no social housing is attributable to the fact that there has been no investment in housing by central government. 

The reduction in police numbers and the "reprioritisation" of crimes has been attributable to the fact that there has been no investment in policing by central government. 

The delays in treatment in A&E has been attributable to the fact that there has been no investment in healthcare by central government. 


I am hoping that a change in government will change this, but actually I am very concerned by the early signals from the current Labour govt. They need to change the way they look at the economy, because if Rachel Reeves has the same approach as George Osborne, then to my mind there is no benefit in having a Labour govt. What I am hoping is that this is a moderate "don't startle the horses" beginning, before more radical policies are adopted. At least it looks like the union issues are being resolved, and speaking personally as a commuter that is a fantastic breakthrough. 


It's only been five weeks, let's wait and see, I guess?

TTFN. 

No comments:

Post a Comment