Sunday, January 03, 2021

21-01-03 Sunday Covid-19 Day 295 I - A Dry 2020

Looking back at 2020, maybe it wasn't the best year to not drink any alcohol. There were certainly some days when I could have done with sinking four beers or a bottle of wine, or relaxing into a nice whisky, and forgetting what was going out in the real world.

But on the whole I managed to abstain. I certainly drank enough Heineken Zero and other non-alcoholic beers to sink a battleship or two, and I found one or two I actually liked. Moretti non-alcoholic lager, for one, and Brooklyn "Special Effects" for another. I would add Leffe as a new one, but I'm still undecided on it. And one I'm looking forward to trying is the non-alcoholic Guinness.

I did have an alcoholic drink on three occasions in the year. Once was in March, in Amsterdam - I had a "radler", which I later realised was a shandy. It was a can or bottle, 330ml, the same quantity as you'd get in a can of coke, and it was about 2.5% alcohol by volume. I didn't particularly enjoy it, but I did try some non-alcoholic beers I've not seen in the UK and a few of them were quite tasty.

Then in August, on a Sunday, I had two glasses of prosecco. I did enjoy them. We had visitors, and they brought some bottles, and it was nice weather, etc. The surprising thing was that I didn't have a drink the preceding day, when we had walked ten miles from Littlehampton into Worthing, and then sat in a few pubs in Worthing for the rest of the day. To be honest, I was thinking about having a beer for most of that walk, but then once I smelt the lagers which my walking companions had ordered, I wasn't that keen. Up until that day I had kind of dismissed Nanny State by Brewdog as too stouty / malty, but on that Saturday I really enjoyed it. I did have to leave and get home when everyone else got more drunk than was comfortable, but come the Sunday I was happy with that decision. The last time I had an alcoholic drink, it was a glass of prosecco to celebrate a friend qualifying as an electrician. I would have liked a second, but TW got there first and there wasn't any left for me. No biggie though.

We did discuss me having a drink on New Year's Eve, but we didn't stay up until midnight and by the time we did go to bed, the prosecco had all gone anyway, so there wasn't the opportunity.

I have found it difficult from time to time to stay sober; it's quite an enticing idea, to sink a couple and let go. It's something that comes in waves; I can be quite fine for weeks on end, but then I have a few days where I really fancy a pint. But that feeling normally fades away, and then things are fine again. My trouble is that I enjoy it too much for it to be "a pint" or "just a couple of drinks", and I end up out of control and then massively hungover the next day. Towards the end, in the summer of 2019, being drunk wasn't as much fun as it used to be.

That's the bit I miss though; the chance to let go and be "off duty". If I can find a way to replicate that without getting drunk, I'll have properly nailed it I reckon. Then I won't even want a unit or two of alcohol every hundred days or so. It might be worth looking into that more deeply in 2021. Currently I'm on a 59 day dry streak on the Try Dry app, and I'm looking forward to getting that up to 90 by early Feb. 

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment