Saturday, September 21, 2019

19-09-21 Saturday II - The Rugby World Cup Starts

Four matches down so far, and they’ve all been good. I managed to watch most of the Japan v Russia opener yesterday, as it was on during my lunch hour and I had logged onto ITV Hub. I also had a little wager that Russia wouldn’t lose by more than 39 points, and as the game ended 30-10 to Japan, I turned 50p into £1. Unfortunately, I got a bit carried away and also bet £1 that Russia would win, and I only managed to save 8p of that by cashing out before things got too bad.  
Then this morning I was kind of awake but heard one of the girls up and moving at about 6:15, so knew that she was planning to watch the first game today – Australia v Fiji. It sounded like quite a good game; we were listening (in bed) to Radio 5. TW got up and went downstairs to watch it, and I got up at half-time to join them. Fiji are brilliant in open play, but Australia were able to muscle them in the forwards. It was a close-run thing, but Australia got the upper hand in the later part of the second half, and the Fijians were getting frustrated. Australia won, and I also won my bet that Australia would win by more than 14 points, turning my 21p into 40.  
I didn’t watch the French play against Argentina, but I know that France came out of the blocks quickly. It seems they stalled pretty much immediately after that though, because while I was taking part in the Park Run, the game ended 23-21. My wager on this game was that France would win by more than two points, so I lost 40p on that game – since it was a draw when the handicap was applied.  
The last match of the day was a heavyweight bruiser of a match between New Zealand and South Africa, and this match-up could be reprised in the final. The Kiwis weren’t clinical to start with; in fact, they seemed quite disorganised, but they certainly made the most of their chances. South Africa were most effective when they kept the ball in the forward pack and tried to muscle their way forward, but they weren’t able to turn yards won into points. I had bet that New Zealand would win by more than five points, and as the result was 23-13, I managed to turn 50p into £1 again.  
I’m looking forward to more games tomorrow, especially England’s opening attempt, and may update further after that.  
TTFN 

No comments:

Post a Comment