Saturday, September 21, 2019

19-09-21 Saturday I - Rob Delaney @ The Komedia, 17th September 2019

Tuesday Night it was time to go see Rob Delaney at the Komedia. I finished work as normal at 5pm and wandered in to town. There wasn’t much point in me heading back to Worthing, as everyone was heading the other way, so I went to Bill’s to get dinner and made sure I had something to eat for the evening. I had crispy calamari to start, which I love and would choose every time. No other starter gets a look-in, really. And then for my main I made a non-standard choice and went for a Buttermilk Chicken Burger. With extra bacon. It was nice enough, and the brioche bun it came in was delicious, but maybe I should have chosen something else? Chicken green curry, maybe? I guess it’s FOMO (fear of missing out) catching up with me.

I met the others (TW, M&D, J&J) in the Dorset Bar, which is about as close as you can get to the Komedia without actually *being inside* the Komedia. They were just finishing off their drinks, and then we headed over to the venue.

There were already a lot of people in the place, even at five past seven (doors opened at 7pm). I guess because it was unreserved seating, people wanted a good view. We managed to find a space for six fairly easily, and then started the interminable queue for drinks. I was pleased to see that they had bottles of Erdinger alkoholfrei, so I had one of those.

Back at the table in time for the warm-up, a very funny New Zealander called Alice Snedden. It wasn’t until partway through her routine that we realised we’d heard her just a couple of weeks ago on The Now Show on Radio 4. She was good though; confident, moving through her set at pace, leaving space for people to catch up from time to time. She did well, despite the fact that not many people knew who she was, and the crowd responded well.

Time for a short break and another round of beers, and then it was the main attraction.

We were all seated, and the lights went down, and then Rob D strolled onto stage. No announcement, no behind-the-curtains voiceover, he was just there. And he was straight into it. He is just naturally funny. Some comedians have an overarching theme, or a point they want to get across. I don’t think Rob did; he just wanted to come out and be funny. He told a number of unrelated stories, but as each story unfolded and he explored further, he just got funnier and funnier. Each story ended in a mini-climax of mirth, and then he would move onto the next story, starting from scratch again, and build that up until the crowd were in stitches.

Towards the end of his set, I needed to use the facilities, but I hung on and so was glad there was no encore! Rob was laugh out loud funny, and I had a brilliant evening. The tickets at £20 each were good value for money. And the good thing was that because I wasn’t drinking, I could drive home – result!

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment