Tuesday, November 13, 2018

18-11-13 Tuesday - Coming Back to Blogger


Well, I tried the sunlit uplands of a WordPress blog hosted by GoDaddy, but it turned out to be neither elevated nor sunlit.
I looked at what I was spending in order to maintain my domain ownership, and my quarterly Wordpress hosting costs, and then compared that against the vague ramblings I was / am publishing, and it didn’t quite add up.
To be frank, this is an exercise in vanity. No-one cares about it, least of all me, but I shall carry on regardless because that’s what I do.
Really this is just a note to myself; a record of what I was (maybe) thinking at the time. I’ve already surprised myself by looking back at how even-handed I was pre-Brexit whether to vote Remain or Leave, when it’s quite clear that Remain is and was the sensible option, and there may be other things that I can look back on and surprise myself.
What made me look at my costs, and the benefits? It was an email I received from GoDaddy, advising me that I had possible malware on my blog. When I looked at the files they referenced, they were all WordPress files. when I rang them to advise that I hadn’t installed any custom files, they responded that these files might cause an issue, but they could provide some security for about £80 per year. I realised then that my vague meanderings weren’t worth what I was paying to GoDaddy. I’ve been paying £6 per month in quarterly instalments for a basic managed WordPress account, and then I paid nearly £80 to own the .com domain for 5 years and £60 for the .co.uk domain. £140 for five years of vanity publishing, and (£18*4*5=) £360 for the WP hosting just doesn’t add up, in my view. I’m happy navigating the backwaters of the blogosphere, hoping to add a note of common sense here or there.
It took me a while to work out how to get back to viewing my blog on Blogger, I had replaced the theme with the Blogger to WordPress plug-in code, and so I set a new theme and voila! My blog reappeared almost like magic. I will take a few days, I think, to mess around with the settings and the look of the blog and get it the way I like it.
I shall continue to plug away on Blogger.com and be happy in chuntering away to myself here. I’ll update my GoDaddy hosted website (thatrobthorley.com) as long as I can, by copying and pasting, but really the blog of record will be this one, https://robthorley.blogspot.com/.
TTFN.  

No comments:

Post a Comment