Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Wednesday 18-03-14 Gym Bunny

I’ve never thought of myself as a gym bunny. I was a member of the gym at work a number of years ago, but after a few months I developed a serious cold that knocked me out of action for a couple of weeks, and I never went back.

TW has offered to get me membership of Worthing Leisure, or Southdowns Leisure for some time, and each time I’ve said yes, I am interested, but she never followed through and actually signed me up. Until a couple of weeks ago, that is, when there was a free signing up Saturday.

As a concession member (the kids had already signed up, so TW & I signed up separately and because we live at the same address we get a partial discount), it costs £39 per month for each of us. If we are still using the membership at the end of the year, when the kids’ membership lapses, we’ll probably sign up for a family membership.

The first class I went to was a “weight loss boot camp”. There were about seven or eight of us doing 50 seconds of exercise with a ten second changeover. It was overwhelming; the exercises were done at quite a pace and there wasn’t much time to pick up the correct way to perform the exercises. Luckily TW was there to see me straight. It was quite a shock, and certainly different from running; with running, I can set my own pace, and just detach myself, not really thinking about much at all except the rhythm of running. With short sharp bursts of exercise, I was worried whether I was doing the right sort of bends, were my hips supposed to stay face on?, was I supposed to stretch behind my head?, could I balance like that? But I made it through, and actually felt good for doing it.

I can’t think what happened then, but I didn’t do any classes or go running for the rest of the week. I think it was due to the snow and extreme cold. Then I cricked my neck, so I missed the next week. But by Saturday I was ready for another class, and so we signed up for Body Balance. I think I mentioned this in a post last week. It’s a mix of tai chi, yoga and pilates. The class was quite full, and we were standing in front of a mirror wall. Some of the class were obviously experts and able to pull off the poses and stretches effortlessly, striking an aesthetically pleasing and solid stance. They were a most impressive sight in the mirror. Unfortunately, as the class went on, the pleasing zen-like movements were marred by my sweaty red-faced wobbling in the background. The class did get harder as it went on, and although I found it tough, I did enjoy it and we are going back. I have discovered though, that my body leaves a lot to be desired and I have no balance.

Next time I think I’ll cover the circuits class I went to on Monday night. It was a lot harder than I was expecting, but again, I think I am going to go back. I do ache a bit, I’ve done three classes in five days, which is quite intense for me, but they’ve been enjoyable so far. If I can build the classes into my routine, I may even keep it up, who knows?

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment