Saturday, February 03, 2018

Saturday 18-02-03 I Ahir Shah at The Old Market (1st Feb 2018)

On Thursday we went to see Ahir Shah at The Old Market in Brighton. TW had bought the tickets as a Christmas present, and I was looking forward to it. I didn’t know who Ahir was, and I’d never heard any of his stuff. But he was interviewed by Richard Herring on his RHLSTP, and apparently he was short-listed for the Edinburgh Comedy prize in 2017.

He was good. I liked his set, I liked where he was coming from. He was absolutely suited to a Brighton audience, being sort of lefty / liberal. He made some really good points, and some sharp analogies. He was preaching to the converted though, it being Brighton. Even when he wasn’t being laugh out loud funny, he was thought-provoking and interesting. I’d be interested in seeing his future material, and how he builds on what he’s already achieved.

The Old Market is a lovely venue, we’ve got some friends who have staged productions there before, but unfortunately we’ve never made it to their shows. I think we’ve probably been missing out. While we were enjoying a pre-show drink, I noticed that they were advertising Fleabag, and nudged TW. She bought tickets later that night, so we are definitely going back at least once. And Rob Auton is performing his show “Hair” there at the start of March, so I might be going back sooner than planned.

Before going to The Old Market we went for dinner at the Kanok Thai restaurant, which was delicious. We each chose a starter and a main course, and all the dishes were lovely. We left not feeling over-full, and refreshed ready for the evening’s entertainment. I would certainly recommend it as a good place to eat.

So that was our Thursday. Dinner out, wine and a comedian who confirmed all our views of the parlous state of current affairs. What more could one want from a night out?
TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment