Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Tuesday 18-01-02 I New Year's Recovery

The first day of the year consisted mostly of me slowly gathering my thoughts, a.k.a. trying to ward off the worst effects of the hangover. It truly was the day after the night before. At least now that the kids are older they don’t need entertaining nearly as much, and because they were also up until 3am with the grown-ups, they were nearly as docile as me.

We had croissants for breakfast and then I stumbled across an Adam Sandler film, Bedtime Stories, which was a bit of easy watching for the Hard of Thinking. It passed the time, but I didn’t really like the ending – in my opinion it was a bit overbaked.

In the afternoon we went for a walk along the beach with some friends and their dog. Dogs are a great excuse for getting some exercise but we’re not getting one, no matter how often the family plead with me to do so.

In the evening we watched Grandpa’s Great Escape, which was the by now traditional David Walliams Christmas treat. We had watched Ratburger on Sky, and I thought that Sky had done their usual trick of nabbing a terrestrial “jewel”, but it seems that the BBC got the best deal. While Ratburger was great, I think Grandpa’s Great Escape was amazing. It may have been implausible, but it really tugged at the heartstrings in a way that Ratburger just didn’t. Set in the 80s, it had a fantastical quality to start with, and it built on that. The whole cast were brilliant, I thought, and it had all of us in tears by the final act.

I managed to read a few pages of a book which the MiL’s partner has lent me, called Collusion, and also got through a couple of comics – I’ve started reading Surgeon X, which is set in a dystopian future where antibiotics don’t have the same effects as they do today. It’s quite dark, but no less enjoyable for that. My intention (New Year’s Resolution?) is to read more this year, and also document it, so this might figure more prominently in these entries this year…

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment