Friday, January 05, 2018

Friday 18-01-05 A Summary

Tuesday was the day when the decorations came down. TW had suggested that we take them down last week, before New Year's, but I disagreed. It was a sign of the end of festivities though; the house looked bare, TW was back to work on the Wednesday, and the kids were back to school on Thursday. There were no more planned parties or social gatherings, and reality was beginning to reassert itself.

It's funny how we can become used to the festive trappings so quickly; the presence of a tree in one room and a Nativity in another, and the walls and doors festooned with cards seems perfectly normal. Then, when these things are all put away, it seems like a deprivation. But really, we are storing away our Christmas spirit so that we can revive it at the start of December less than 11 months away now.

Wednesday brought swimming for the girls and coat shopping for me; I popped into Debenhams to see if I could try on a couple of coats, but the Worthing branch is relatively small, so I ordered two coats online instead.

On our way to Splashpoint TMO did say "at least I don't have shoes in my holes", which both I and TE picked her up on. Like the scene in Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka - scratch that: rewind and reverse it.

Thursday, which was supposed to be my day of return to work, saw me struck down with a cold. I think I've gone through about three loo rolls blowing my nose over the last two days. Hopefully tomorrow will see an improvement.

My coats arrived and I picked them up. When I got them home and tried them on it was clear that the Craghoppers one was preferable, which was satisfying because it was the cheaper one. I'll need to return the other tomorrow.

So far I've managed to read comics and pages of my book, which is my de facto New Year's resolution. We'll need to see though whether that holds when I get back to work properly.

I also managed to sell my Microsoft Surface, after a bit of soul-searching... To be honest, I wasn't using it often enough to warrant keeping it, and in the spirit of the New Year and streamlining my life, I listed it on eBay.

I have been lusting after a new chromebook instead, but it wasn't really suitable. I need to be happy with what I've got, I think. My Tab and a bluetooth keyboard should be enough, usually.

No comments:

Post a Comment