Monday, June 19, 2017

17-06-19 Brexit Again

I've seen a lot of political commentators over the past few days state that 85% of the UK population voted for Brexit in the General Election that happened a few days ago.

I've got to say, I reckon that is rubbish.

A lot of people voted Conservative, and a lot of people voted Labour. I have to assume that Labour voters wanted to remove the Conservatives from power, and the fact that Brexit was part of their manifesto was a minor consideration if at all.

Before we started discussing Brexit and before we scheduled the Referendum, our membership of the European Union was irrelevant to most people. A couple of headbangers in the Conservative party, and UKIP, were obsessed by it, but to the rest of us, laws were laws and it was irrelevant where they came from, whether Parliament or the EU via the UK Parliament.

Since the Referendum was settled I think the issue has become less important again. A lot of people who voted Remain think we should proceed with Brexit anyway. In their view, it is settled. We voted, the majority voted Leave, so let's get on with it.

I don't see how we can avoid Brexit without a second referendum. I would be happy to see a second referendum, but I don't see how such a referendum could be called.

But I didn't vote the way I did because the party promised Brexit. I voted because I wanted domestic change. If there were a way to engineer Remaining, I would support that.

So I, for one, didn't vote for Brexit.

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment