Sunday, May 15, 2016

Saturday 16-05-14 Knockhatch and Eurovision

Earlier in the week (Tuesday, to be precise) The Youngest celebrated her seventh birthday. Yesterday as part of the continued celebrations we took her and two friends (and our other two) to Knockhatch Adventure Park. I've written about Knockhatch before, but again it's an enjoyable day out. It is a nice mix of animal exhibition / zoo and activities. 
The weather wasn't that great to start with, it certainly wasn't as warm as it had been Thursday and Friday, and actually I was a bit worried that we were under-prepared, clothes-wise at least. We didn't have coats or jumpers, but we decided to risk it for a biscuit. We certainly weren't under-prepared on the food front; the bag of food I lugged around must have weighed a stone at least, but then I suppose you can't feed seven hungry mouths on thin air...
We fed the animals, and then hit the Quadapillar barrel ride. Then into the park for free activities, and first up was the Demon Drop Slide. Both Eldest and Youngest conquered their fears, and went down it, the Middle One didn't pluck up courage until later in the day. Our guests didn't try it out. I'm not sure I would manage it, frankly. Then we went further into the park, there was the Wave Runner for the more adventurous and the inflatable bouncy pillow for the less so. All the kids had a good time, we managed to make headway into the stone of food, and it was quite relaxing. The kids were off and enjoying themselves and TW and I sat and chatted. 
They did spend quite a lot of time inside in the soft play area, which was confusing to me, with all the things to do outside, but that was probably for the best - I ended up with sunburn, which I think I got later in the day. We also went boating, which was included in the price, I managed to find it difficult to get into and out of the boat, which certainly amused TW, and the Eldest was grumpy because she wanted to row, and I didn't let her. After that I felt a bit washed out, like it had been an adrenaline rush, except I didn't feel a rush at the time. I did find it uncomfortable and difficult to row in the lifejackets they gave us, but I think I relaxed into it eventually...? We didn't leave until after 4pm and then stopped off briefly at a tent exhibition at Middle Farm, which showed us that we can't really afford a new one, I will just have to keep an eye on eBay I guess...

Then to finish the day off, I watched the Eurovision Song contest. Graham Norton's commentary was enjoyable, most of the songs were utter rubbish, but the costumes and the faux emotions were a sight to behold. Russia were the favourites to win, but as we were listening to the scores coming in, as we were falling asleep, Australia and Ukraine seemed to be doing quite well. It would have been a bit weird, watching the Eurovision next year in Melbourne or Sydney, but in the end Ukraine prevailed. Considering the history between Ukraine and Russia, and the subject matter of the Ukrainian song, I wouldn't be surprised if that leads to some kind of diplomatic incident. 

It was a full day, just writing about it has tired me out, I might need to go back to bed. At least we're not planning on an active morning today, that might give me a chance to regroup and recover...

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment