Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Tuesday 15-09-08 A Sense of Quiet Despair

Is it just me? Or is there a general feeling that we can do better? Whenever I listen to the news (and I believe in the BBC) I don't see much reason for optimism.
It seems that the government are aiming low in offering to accept 20,000 refugees over the next five years. Especially when Germany accepted 10,000 in one day last week, and have since advised that they can probably take 500k refugees per year. The paucity of Cameron's vision is disappointing.
But at the same time it seems that they think they can solve all the global problems by bombing two random individuals in Syria.  Apparently the reason is that the UK was under immediate threat of attack. Surely, if we were under immediate threat, and these individuals were in Syria, then they were not the intended actors. There must be other individuals in the UK prepared to carry out whatever atrocities were proposed? So killing two people remotely wouldn't remove the immediate threat,  but would remove any need for a judicial case / review. It just seems a little odd to me. I don't see that "self-defence" can be a justifiable defence, and surely the fact that this argument can be deployed shows how convoluted lawyerly arguments can be.

Then (and maybe underlying all this) is the fact that our economy seems to be stalling on an almost permanent basis. Once a particular sector seems to be doing well, another seems to be failing. It's like a big game of whack-a-mole. And if there is no problem with the UK economy, all of a sudden the Chinese economy goes tits-up and threatens to affect the entire global economy.

Perhaps a war might help kickstart investment? I don't know, but I'm not sure that i wouldn't put it past this current Tory government, "for the sake of the shareholders".

To be completely frank, I don't see any change coming soon. We're halfway through our current three year mortgage and rates are still at 0.5%. We're in a funk, that's for sure, and I don't know how we are going to get out of it. And it doesn't help that I work in the financial industry, so I am concerned that if others pick up on the stagnation in the economy, that'll do for me and my employment.

Maybe a war would be for the best. After all, I'm past conscription age now.

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment