Saturday, March 21, 2015

Saturday 15-03-21 The Newsroom





So I have just finished watching The Newsroom, an absolutely brilliant TV series from the pen of Aaron Sorkin, who also wrote The West Wing. This third series took long enough coming, and it was only six episodes long, but it was perfectly crafted, and worth the wait.
Jeff Daniels (pictured above) was a strange choice for the main role, I thought initially, but he was fantastic in role, and all the players acquitted themselves well. Maybe it was the snappy dialogue, maybe it was the intricate plotting, maybe it was the Don Quixote references. The story was pretty similar to The West Wing, i.e., a bunch of liberal journos fighting against the injustices of the world, but it was done in an awe-inspiring, fast-moving, glitzy kind of way.
I've been watching Arrow recently, and I only bring Arrow in to contrast against the self-effacing nature of The Newsroom. Arrow is full of pomp and overblown histrionics; I was watching it recently and took myself out of the narrative, to look at it one step removed. The music was surging, the characters were reciting dialogue that no-one in the real world would ever say, and it kind of ruined it for me slightly. I enjoy it still, but I think The Newsroom is better written.
The Newsroom is different, in that the dialogue flows by so quickly that if you don't pay attention, you've missed a vital plot twist. The characters are all modest, and although of course it's unrealistic, it shows a world I'd quite like to live in, where everyone has a snappy comeback and is intent on making the world a better place.
The romance between Jim and Maggie was a main thread in the first series, and I'm glad that it was revisited in the third series. I have to say though that Olivia Munn pulled off an absolute stunner as Sloan Sabbith. All the characters were great; Sam Waterston as Charlie was a tour de force, and Jane Fonda as well put in a strong performance when she appeared.

Basically what I'm saying is that I recommend it. It's reminiscent of The West Wing, and full of snappy dialogue and a strong ensemble performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment