Sunday, December 29, 2019

19-12-29 Sunday - A Good Christmas

So far the season has been good to us as a family. I had a cold for the last few days I was supposed to work before the Christmas break, so I had a longer rest than intended. In fact, I’ve still got the remains of a blocked nose and a cough, as a reminder of that illness.

We stayed with family just outside Dorking, which isn’t very far away at all. We drove up on Christmas Day itself and stayed over in a Travelodge Christmas night. It was clean enough, but there were only four beds for five of us, so that tarnished the experience somewhat. We managed, though.

Christmas Day itself was very relaxed, and J&J had everything under control. I didn’t drink, but there was plenty of fizz floating around and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. I treated myself to a couple of Moretti Zeros, which is currently my favourite dry tipple. We had more food for lunch than we needed, although my nephew M did his best to finish it all by having two platefuls of food. On Boxing Day he shared that he had put on 11 pounds on Christmas Day – we weren’t surprised, especially as he had four mince pies and some apple pie for pudding, with brandy cream.

After dinner we opened our presents, which took nearly two hours. TW and I only had one present each, but a number of us had multiple presents from friends as well, so opening those took some time. I was given a base layer for running, which I had asked for, and TW received a pair of trainers, as if she didn’t have enough pairs already.

On Boxing Day we played Scrabble and Monopoly and nobody was harmed in the process, which was nice. We headed home at about six pm in the dark and the rain, after a lovely day.

Since then we’ve been in the Winterval limbo, not quite sure what day of the week it is. We’ve got another week before we have to get back to normal, so let’s see how we’re feeling by next Sunday...

TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment