Sunday, August 05, 2018

18-08-05 Sunday - Films

Yesterday we went to see Mama Mia – Here We Go Again at the Dome Cinema in Worthing. I say “we”, I mean the kids & I, since TW was off at a beer festival in Wapping. I actually quite enjoyed it. It was nice to walk into town and then sit in a cool air-conditioned cinema for two hours. The film is pretty much the same as the first, so if you enjoyed that, you’ll probably enjoy the second one. It was completely unbelievable, of course, but then you don’t go to see Mama Mia for its cinema verité style – or if you did, you’d be disappointed... I didn’t recognise most of the songs, but then I’m not a big Abba fan, and they’d probably used most of the recognisable ones in the first film. Having said that, though, Abba probably have enough of a back catalogue to soundtrack six or seven more films.  

The film was showing at the third screen which is new. It’s quite small; it can seat about 40 people. I didn’t notice the size of the room though once the film started, which was a good thing. We walked in and out of town, and on the way home we stopped at Greggs for a snack. The girls liked that, sometimes it’s the little things that please the most.  

Last night after the girls went to bed or otherwise vacated the living room, I watched The Adjustment Bureau. This was much more my type of film. I had a couple of beers to accompany the film, and enjoyed it. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt were good in their roles, but also the guys from the “Bureau” were also well-cast, especially Anthony Mackie. Looking at the wikipedia entry, it was based on a short story by Philip K Dick, and that makes sense. It did kind of feel like there were a few bits missing, but it skipped along with some pace and was there were a few good set pieces. The film was actually included in my Amazon Prime subscription, which was nice; I think I need to start making more use of that. For instance, I know Outlander is there, and that is supposed to be quite good, and there are a number of films I could quite easily lose myself in. So you might see more of these sort of posts in the future – assuming you’re reading this now (spoiler: no-one is). 

TTFN. 

No comments:

Post a Comment