Saturday, March 04, 2017

Saturday 17-03-03 PaddyPower and I are Parting Ways

Paddypower and I are parting ways. It’s sad to say, it did seem to be a blossoming romance, but unfortunately things were not well in paradise.
It all came to a head on Tuesday night. Previously Paddypower (hereafter known as PP) had falsely reported goals, or stopped reporting on games altogether, which was annoying but manageable. Tuesday night, though, things were different. Brighton were playing at home to Newcastle, and it was a top-of-the-table clash. Since I lived in Brighton for ten years, and have worked there for nearly twenty, I was not only financially but emotionally invested in the game. Mum and Dad were also at the game, since they have season tickets, along with quite a few friends I work with. Yes, I had a small wager (70p) on the game, in Brighton’s favour.
TW & I decided to start watching Apple Tree Yard, the recent BBC drama, since we’d recorded it and heard some good things about it. I had the PP website up on the laptop to follow along with the score.
The drama on the telly was pretty good, but I noticed that Brighton went 1-0 up after about 15 minutes. I double-checked it with flashscore.com, and it was confirmed, Brighton were ahead. I settled back and watched the telly, and kept one eye on the score. Half-time came and went with no change, Brighton were still winning. Then 60 minutes, then 70, and then 80 minutes, and things were static at 1-0. I was getting a little jittery, if Brighton won that would mean that they were clear at the top of the table. But Paddypower reassured me, the score was still 1-0 and everything was right with the world. And besides, I was focused on the story unfolding in Apple Tree Yard. Full-time was announced, and the score was 1-0. Excellent! I informed TW, Brighton are top of the table, they won!
I checked my winnings, but they hadn’t been awarded yet. No worries, that happens sometimes, it takes them some time to pay out. So I waited. And waited. And nothing. Hmm, I thought, maybe the game went to extra time. That happens sometimes, Paddypower stop showing the in-play score before the end of the match if it’s gone over 90 minutes. So I checked on flashscore.com, and they advised that the game had finished, but the score was 1-2 to Newcastle. What?
I checked with the BBC, they advised the same thing. Newcastle had won. PP had stopped updating their website at some point and missed the goals in the 81st and 89th minute. So I’d missed out on £1.78 as well as Brighton going clear at the top of the table, and happy family and friends the next day. Gutted. I did contact them on Twitter, they “apologised for the inconvenience”. Well, that isn’t enough, I’m sorry to say; they messed up. I mean, they’ve taken my cash, but they aren’t showing me the actual real scores, and for that reason I’m done.
I’ve still got a couple of pounds with Paddypower, but once those are gone, I won’t be refilling my account. It won’t be any great loss to PP I’m sure; I'm not a high-roller by any means, but if they don’t have reliable systems, then I don’t want to bet with them any more. It’s a shame; like I said, it was fun while it lasted, but if they can’t get the important stuff right, then there are plenty of other sites I can spend my money at.

TTFN…

No comments:

Post a Comment