Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Tuesday 15-07-07 American Horror Story: Freakshow - A Final Verdict

Freakshow was an excellent addition to the American Horror Story oeuvre. Let me get that out of the way first. Jessica Lange as Elsa Mars has found her calling. Kathy Bates, with her weird Canadian (?) accent was brilliant. I felt for all of the cast, cast as they were in their hopeless, fateful roles.
Evan Peters was brilliant, as were all repeating cast members. Frances Conroy as Gloria Mott was brilliant, and Dandy Mott played by Finn Wittrock was a tour de force. Basically, what I'm saying is that the cast was brilliant, the pacing was excellent, and the story was gripping.

It was so good that I watched the final three episodes in one burst tonight. However, I don't think I will watch any more series of American Horror Story.

My concern with American Horror Story is that the protaganists are always destined to fail. The ending of Freakshow was uplifting for one particular character, and a couple of others, but as time went on it became clear that this was not going to be an uplifting and optimistic series.

I wouldn't normally complain about being served up a quality drama series which was ultimately depressing, except for the fact that when I detach myself from the fantasy of the TV show, actually real life doesn't seem much better. The characters in Freakshow were locked into their fate, and sometimes it seems that we are all locked into our fates, guaranteed to continue along the path that we've cut out for ourselves.

I feel jealous of people like Romesh Ranganathan,not because he's a famous comedian (well, yea, that is a big factor) but because he's managed to swap jobs and roles. He hasn't let his fate define him, he's managed to escape the fate of the cost analyst and the fate of the teacher. Third time lucky. I don't know, I'm spouting on a bit, maybe I should shut up now. It is quite late, and I have had drink taken watching Freakshow. Take it from me, some soft landing is required. Especially with AHS.

No comments:

Post a Comment