Saturday, February 23, 2013

Partitioning a Disk

So this morning I have mostly been trying to repartition my netbook disk drive. It was very frustrating. I had some unallocated, unformatted space next to my C: drive, and as part of my adventures with Linux I had partitioned the Windows C: drive to just 20GB.
But recently the C: drive has been filling up, probably with error reports as I have been trying to stabilise Windows and install Windows 7 Starter Pack 1, unsuccessfully :(
So I used the Disk Management function but was unable to increase the size of the C: drive.
Eventually I downloaded a third party partition manager and reformatted the unallocated space into drive D:, as NTFS. Then I deleted that partition, and then I was able to extend the C: drive up to 231GB.
That sounds quite straightforward, but it took me three and a half hours of looking, googling, trial and error, as well as restarting and scanning disks to complete. At times I was quite frustrated. But I have now resolved it, and I'm happy with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment