Thursday, May 17, 2012

Sussex Cricket Season Opens

Last Sunday was the first of many trips this summer to the Probiz County Ground in Hove. Of course to see Sussex play cricket in a CB40 match against the Unicorns, who are (as I understand it) an ECB development side which was formed to give exposure to potential stars of the cricketing future.
As such, Sussex walloped them. 291 from 40 overs, with centuries for Joyce and Machan. When the Unicorns were 45 from 15 overs I realised the jig was up and made my excuses.
It was a good day; the sun was out, it wasn't too hot - in fact when the wind blew it was quite chilly. I had a fleece on for much of the later afternoon. I managed to read a couple of old Guardian Weekends which I've been hoarding for years, and I got to road-test my new, bigger and more powerful binoculars.
I saw a girl from work, M, and exchanged a few words with my fellow spectators. I enjoyed a couple of pork pies courtesy of the Tesco Express by Hove station, washed down with a couple of bottles of Coke - no alcohol was taken! I also enjoyed a cold homemade burger which TW had prepared the night before.
All in all it was a lovely day, a good start to the season and a taste of things to come. Apart from Machan's innings, it wasn't a compelling match, and I'm hoping for better atmospheres and more gripping cricket as the season continues. But there's no better way to spend a sunny afternoon than at the Probiz - especially with Sussex in control.

Posted via email from Rob Thorley's Posterous Site

No comments:

Post a Comment